In this attempt, our hero put the cup on a stand, to get the mouth closer to the top of the bottle, and also taped a small aluminum foil reflector around the back half of the bottle. I adjusted the reflector to re-point it at the sun periodically throughout the day. Weather conditions: severe clear and 80-85F.
- The bottle with the reflector and the cup on the stand distilled 2-3/4 tsp of water.
- The control bottle with just a plain black cup distilled... 2-3/4 tsp of water.
Still to try:
- a larger, external reflector made of aluminum foil taped over cardboard
- adding a wick to the cup to try to increase the surface area and speed the evaporation rate (thanks to John Galt for the suggestion)
- possibly sealing the gap where the top of the bottle fits into the bottom in case we're losing water vapor through there
The next post in this series is here.