Wednesday, September 27, 2006

adventures in swimming

The stress of school can do nasty things to a body. As a result, I've been wanting to get back in shape. Ever since the bicycle incident, the concensus around the family is that I oughtn't to be biking to school. (I've even been informally concensed that I oughtn't to be biking to the grocery store either, but we'll see if that lasts. I'm mighty partial to two wheels.)

Anyway, today I tried Plan B: attend the masters' swim. Near as I can tell, the masters' swim is a mix of people who used to be on swim teams or just plain got bored of swimming classes and get together to swim various combinations of going back and forth across the pool. Cool, I can handle that. Unlike my little sis, I was never a super good swimmer, but I grew up around the water and can usually hold my own against someone who's not on a swim team.

'Twas not an auspicious beginning. Now, I know I'm out of shape, but my body apparently felt that reminding me through the usual out-of-breath and pounding heart just wasn't going to cut it. Part way through I started getting leg cramps. I could massage them out but they kept coming back, which pretty much shut down the rest of today's practice. Guess I need to work up to this stuff.

We'll see how long this attempt lasts. In the past, it hasn't been too long. In fact, the last time I was swimming in a master's class, mid-way through a 1600 free I realized I could be spending that time building an airplane instead, and that's pretty much where the airplane project started and the swimming project ended.

Plan C is to talk Coppertop into salsa dancing.

No comments: