Sunday, November 12, 2006

birthday, focus, and the news

Tomorrow's my birthday. Coppertop surprised me this morning with a birthday bouquet, which she made herself. I'm looking at it now as I type: orange marigolds and a crimson flower I don't know the name of but that looks like it's in the same family that includes daisies and black-eyed susans. She also kept a few flowers out so I have one in my buttonhole now and she has one in her hair.

It's gotten late enough in the semester that focusing is getting to be a challenge. I'm procrastinating on an editing assignment right now. Ah well, almost over.

Also, there was a news story this morning that's all over the British press but is so far being covered only lightly by the American papers (the Chron being one exception): British Constitutional Affairs Minister Harriet Harman has said the U.S. military isn't cooperating in British investigations into some friendly fire incidents. I haven't yet been able to figure out whether this is an official policy, but if it is, then it seems likely to be politically motivated from either the top military levels or from the Whitehouse. Given the emphasis the military (usually) puts on candor, my money would be on cabinet level or higher.

No comments: