Tuesday, November 07, 2006

civic duty

I've done my civic duty. Has Diebold done its?

The electronic voting machine was clunky but mostly straightforward. I had a bit of trouble with the touch screen when checking through the summary of my votes: it didn't want to scroll. I eventually figured out you had to press long enough for it to register, unlike my laptop's touchpad which it looking for a sharp tap to signal a click. The local machines also use a printed copy of the vote to allow for verification.

Hmm. Interesting thought: California has enough items on the ballot, and few enough voters in a precinct, that you might be able to uniquely associate a vote printout with a particular voter's combination of votes.

In any case, I'm curious to know if other people have lost confidence in the Diebold machines, or if I'm in a small minority here.

No comments: